Living where we do means we are familiar with not only our own culture (or cultures, since in our school there are so many) but about so many others- New York city and the surrounding areas make up the quintessential melting pot.
Artist Deborah Kass' latest sculpture in Brooklyn Bridge Park expresses is that with the shortest possible word: OY from some angles and YO from others.
If you're interested in learning more about Hispanic culture through some classic Latino teen literature, our library is a great place to start. Here are some of the books we carry:
- Nerdlandia (and others) by Gary Soto
- How the Garcia Girls Lost their Accents (and others) by Julia Alvarez
- The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros
- Life, After by Sarah Littman
- Flight and Other Stories by Jose Skinner
- 100 Years of Solitude AND Strange Pilgrims by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Come in to the library and browse around- maybe you'll learn something!